Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Life of Pi


To me the Life of Pi by Yann Martel is a children's book. It is a fantasy adventure story of a teen age boy. Reading the book was like returning to childhood. I found nothing adult about the book. Although some reviewers called the book a "fable", I do not agree; a fable has a moral, and I did not find a moral in this story. Other reviewers saw religious or spiritual symbolism in the book, but I did not. The first part of the book was about a teen age boy in India, and his interests in animals (his father was a zookeeper) and religion (he was interested in all religions). The main part of the book was a story of being lost at sea in a lifeboat with a 450 pound Bengal tiger. I found this part of the book somewhat boring, like his endless days at sea. I also found this part of the book to be perfect for a child, but really too much of an unrealistic fantasy for me. It was not adult. This book won the Man Booker Prize in 2002. I'm not sure if it won as a children's book or not, but if not, then I am not sure why it won. I would recommend the book to a child, but not to an adult.

No comments: