Sunday, October 11, 2009

Phedre, Shakespeare Theatre

Phedre, Shakespeare Theatre

Phedre with Helen Mirren. Phedre is a Greek tragedy, dating back to the fifth century, BC, of a woman who falls in love with her stepson and then struggles to manage her feelings, which consume her. Phedre is about a certain type of relationship, a forbidden one, and a woman's struggles to control her emotions, in the end, losing her struggle. This version of the play was written by the French writer, Racine, in 1677. The story is so tragic and so filled with negative emotion from start to finish that I had not felt good about going. However, I wanted to see Helen Mirren in her signature role. I was surprised that the play was not as difficult as I had expected it to be, although it is indeed filled with heart wrenching emotion from start to finish. Helen Mirren was really special. It is easy to see how great she is, and how this role has so come to define her career. The play was long -- with no intermission -- and I didn't get home until midnight.

The Washington Post ran a review of the opening night of Phedre.

The Baltimore Sun review.

The Examiner noted that for an extra payment, patrons could join Helen Mirren at a reception at the British Embassy. I didn't attend, but I did notice that a limousine was waiting for her outside the theater.

No comments: