Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol

To me, Gogol summarized his writing best: "But what is strangest, what is most incomprehensible of all is how authors can choose such subjects. I confess, that is utterly inconceivable, it is...no, no, I utterly fail to understand. In the first place, there is decidedly no benefit to the fatherland; in the second place...but in the second place, there is also no benefit. I simply do not know what it...." I would ask the question in a different way: How can such a brilliant writer waste his talents writing such drivel.

When I read Vikram Seth, I wondered why such a good writer would always write stories in which his central character was so stupid. When I read D.H. Lawrence's "Women in Love" I wondered again why such a brilliant writer would write a book with such a stupid ending. It seems that some brilliant writers have difficulty with their story lines; a brilliant author is one who combines brilliant writing with a brilliant story. Some writers are brilliant writers, but not brilliant authors because they are lacking in their ability to write good stories. To me, Gogol falls into this category. His writing is truly brilliant, but his stories are completely intellectually vacuous.

On the other hand, I am very pleased that I read this book. Reading one story was worth reading the entire book -- "The Diary of a Madman." That is one of the most moving stories I have ever read -- exceedingly sad and moving. In addition, Gogol's writing, even about inane subjects, is truly wonderful. Sometimes I found myself forgetting the story and simply marveling at the words he used and the way he wrote. He was a truly brilliant writer. I feel good about reading the book; I learned something about a renowned writer, I read one truly great story, and I was mesmerized by his writing ability. So I feel good about reading the book.

No comments: