Thursday, June 15, 2006

Mame

On Saturday evening, June 10, I went to the Kennedy Center
to see the show, Mame, and it was really wonderful. It is odd that I have seen hundreds of Broadway shows, but never before had I seen Mame. It is such a happy show, and the music is really wonderful. I love going to the Kennedy Center, and on a Summer evening, it is even better than usual. They open up all the doors in the Great Hall and let everyone go out on the terrace overlooking the Potomac River. It is really beautiful. Everyone is happy and enjoying themselves. And then to see a really upbeat, happy show is really great. I love seeing musicals, and I love seeing happy shows. I am not one who usually likes to go to a Broadway show to see drama. Tennessee Williams is not a happy experience for me. I like musicals, and Mame is one of the all-time greats. The non-musical "Auntie Mame" was first performed on Broadway in 1958, starring Rosalind Russell, and the musical Mame was first performed in 1966, starring Angela Lansbury (see History of Auntie Mame).

It is odd that the women who have played Mame have not been strong singers, and Christine Baranski, who stars in this version, is not a strong singer. She was fine in the performance; she fit the role of the doting aunt. But I would have enjoyed it more if she had been a stronger singer. And like so many shows, if the show had stopped at intermission, it would have been better. It is odd that so many shows are great before intermission, but weak in the second act, and this show was no exception. Still, it was a wonderful show that left everyone singing and skipping out of the theater.

No comments: