Sunday, July 29, 2007

Grandeur of the Seas Tour, July 22, 2007

Two free daily newspapers are handed to passengers each morning as they enter the Metro system, the "Express" published by the Washington Post, and the "Examiner", published independently. Usually, I scan both of them as I commute to work, a trip of about 45 minutes. On June 23 as I read the "Examiner", I noticed an advertisement announcing the start of a little contest. Each day for 10 days, a question would be printed in the "Examiner" related to the Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines ship, the Grandeur of the Seas, or about the Port of Baltimore. At the end of the contest, 10 winners would be selected by a drawing, and winners would receive a tour of the ship and lunch aboard the ship on July 22, as the ship was docked in Baltimore. I decided to enter the contest for fun.

I looked up the answer to the first question, and made a note of it, and each day, I continued to look up the answer to that day's question and note it. As I went along, I began to realize that very few people would enter this contest, both because it was spaced out over more than 10 days (no paper on Sundays) and because finding the answers online was not always easy. Making the contest more difficult was the fact that it ran over the July 4th holiday. I began to think that my chances of winning might be good. At the end of the contest, I emailed my answers to the questions to the Examiner, and the following week, I was notified that I had won and would be one of not 10 but 25 people to take the tour. During the tour, I learned that 286 correct responses had been received, although probably not more than 50 people had actually participated, and they had given the answers to friends.

So, on Sunday, July 22, I drove over to Baltimore to the Port and took the tour of the ship. I learned that access to the Port of Baltimore is extremely easy; the Port is located directly beside Interstate 95 in Baltimore, at Exit 55. Parking is also extremely easy; it right beside the ship. When I arrived at the port, I noticed that this ship seemed smaller than other ships I have cruised in the past, and that turned out to be true. At lunch, I sat beside the manager of the Port of Baltimore, and one thing I learned from him was that the larger ships are not able to use the Port of Baltimore because they are too tall to pass beneath the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which is only 192 feet above the water surface. Most cruise ships are taller than that. So this ship was smaller than other cruise ships, and that is the reason that it was able to use the Port of Baltimore.

I posted a few photos of my tour on my Flickr site.

Here are the contest questions and answers:
June 23 – What are the four different itineraries (not ports) that Royal Caribbean sails from the Port of Baltimore in 2007?
Answer:
(1) 5 Night Bermuda Cruise
(2) 9 Night New England/Canada Cruise
(3) 9 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise
(4) 13 Night Baltimore to Tampa Cruise

June 24 – No newspaper.

June 25 – What is the charge per day for passenger cars to park at the Port of Baltimore cruise terminal? Answer: $10 per day.

June 26 – What is the Grandeur of the Seas passenger capacity? Answer: 2,446 passengers.

June 27 – How many nights is the Royal Caribbean cruise from Baltimore to Bermuda? Answer: 5 nights.

June 28 – When is the last cruise out of the Port of Baltimore with Royal Caribbean for the 2007 season? Answer: November 25 – Grandeur of the Seas to Bermuda.

June 29 – What time does the Port of Baltimore open for departing cruise passengers? Answer: The cruise terminal entrance opens at 10:00AM for departing passengers; however, do not arrive prior to the embarkation time on your ticket.

June 30 – Are most meals (except for specialty restaurants) covered in the prices? Answer from the RCCL Cruise FAQs: The price of your vacation includes: Most meals onboard. The cruise price does not include meals ashore (except as noted) and certain beverages and specialty restaurants onboard certain vessels.

July 1 –No newspaper.

July 2 – How far is the Port of Baltimore's cruise terminal from BWI Thurgood Marshall Airport: Answer: BWI is located 10 miles south of Baltimore City, and it is just 9.6 miles from Maryland’s cruise terminal at South Locust Point.

July 3 – How long and wide (beam) is the Grandeur of the Seas? Answer: Length – 916 feet; Beam – 106 feet.

July 4 – What is the website address for the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association? Answer: www.baltimore.org

No comments: