Sunday, July 15, 2007

Three Cups of Tea, Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin


Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin

So much has been written about this book and the work of Greg Mortenson that I am reluctant to write more here. The reviews of the book on Amazon cover everything that needs to be said. For me, this is one of the most inspiring books I have read in a long time. I believe that every American should read this book. We can do so much better in our foreign policy than we have been doing, and this book shows the way that many Americans would prefer to follow. A path of peace and friendship. I hope that someday Greg Mortenson will be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Some reviewers seem not to have cared for the writing style of Relin, but to me, it was outstanding. Indeed, the writing is what initially drew me into the book and made it so hard to put down. I really liked the writing style of Relin.

One interesting tidbit: it is interesting to me how frequently great achievers are eccentric. Greg Mortenson is an eccentric loner, as so many other great achievers have been. Yet, his eccentricities are fundamental to his success. The hope is that his work will be self-sustaining after he is no longer able to continue to do all that he has done, just as one hoped that the work of other great people would continue after their times. Thank God for Greg Mortenson.

Key Web Sites:

Three Cups of Tea

Central Asia Institute

YouTube "CAI schools"

Greg Mortenson

No comments: